Monday, November 14, 2011

Handmade Beautiful

Good Morning!  I am doing great after having some jelly toast and a cup of coffee : )

I think one of the reasons why I do this blog is to not only share my addiction of design with others but to help inspire and share other very talented people with all of you that you might not ever get a chance to know.

My husband and I have known Katie for years and it is so wonderful to see how she is sharing her talent with others now.

Modern Earth Design is honored to feature Kaitlin Byers of Katie Mae Cards.




Design = Passionate People :  Kaitlin Byers (Katie Mae Cards)



Ok, here we go...
 What got me started?

I've been making cards for years, since I was young. I would mainly just draw a picture on some construction paper, fold it in half and then.. Ta da! Its a birthday card! HaHa!  I remember I used to write 'Hallmark' on the back of each card, because I thought Hallmark was the best and I wanted my loved ones to have the best. But then my great aunt Charlotte talked me out of that and helped me come up with 'Katie Mae' and then eventually I started calling my cards 'Katie Mae Cards'. And as I got older my creative ability grew, not only into cards but also gift bags, gift tags, gift boxes, jewerly.. etc.


How do you get your inspiration?

I get inspired by anything and everything, from the beauty of nature around me, a song being played, to just seeing printed paper in the craft store, my mind starts putting paper & colors together along with stickers and stamps. The possibilities are endless, and that inspires me.


What made you go into business for yourself?
A lot of the people I'd give cards too, would ask me if my cards were for sale, and then tell me that I should start selling them and try to sell them in stores too. Then, early in 2010 my sister in law wanted to know if I'd want to start selling handmade items with her at farmers markets. So I did and in September of 2010 I had registered Katie Mae Cards as my business name. Now, not only do I still sell at farmers markets, but i also sell my cards in two stores, one in a very cute gift shop located in Bastrop, Texas called The Sugar Shack. And the other a great dance shop located off of Riverside Blvd, in Loves Park, Illinois called Silhouette. I'm also online at www.katiemaecards.etsy.com and you can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katie-Mae-Cards. I take many special orders deliver for free in and around Rockford.


What advice would I give others?
Don't give up on your dreams! I love doing what I do, and if I can make a living off of doing what I love, then all the better : )

Thank you, Katie!  I hope you all have a wonderful week !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...