Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Value Perspective



Today I stopped and began thinking of defining moments in my life.


Has this ever happened to you?  Sometimes when everything is quiet and I actually get some time alone, I am taken back to moments that have shaped who I am now...

Like many families, when I was growing up there wasn't a lot of extra resources. 

There were 7 of us, but that didn't stop my mother's creativity.

I have memories of her reupholstering & refinishing furniture, making art, and painting.

I trailed along, and watched her enjoy trips to thrift stores and flea markets. 

When she brought things home she enlisted my help in rearranging furniture.  It amazed me how many different ways she could reconfigure a room. Every time she brought something home, no matter what it was, the room was rearranged to celebrate its arrival.

All those years of watching her, she created a beautiful home without a huge budget.

She taught me that you really create a "home" environment out of love and imagination.  

Growing up the way I did has allowed me to always think outside the box and be inventive.

I can't tell you how many times I have resorted to the things my mother has done.

She saw value in the things at the time I could not.  What was once discarded became part of the design of our home.

Not only did that help me in decorating spaces but also in how I see value in other people.  Each person can add something different and significant to the world.


 (My Mom and Dad)

Now I teach my children.  They help me rearrange.. I get their input.. We get creative together.

The seed is planted again.









































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...